Friday, February 27, 2009

Luke's Birth

I wanted to post about Luke's birthday, for those of you who are interested. It was such an amazing experience, and so vastly different from my labor and delivery with Eliana.

A contraction woke me up Saturday morning around 7:45 and right away they were about 2-3 minutes apart. I didn't really think much of that, because the same thing happened when I went into labor with Eliana, and that ended up being 6 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing. So this time around, I didn't count on any urgency. I went downstairs with Eliana, who had woken up when she heard me moving around, and made her breakfast and called my doctor. I woke Stu up around 8:30 and told him he should probably get up and take a shower. His sleepy, "why?" quickly changed to wide awake "mission mode" when he saw my face. When he was done and could watch Eliana, call our moms, and finish packing last minute things, I took a shower. Silly me- contractions still 2 minutes apart, but each lasting longer, and I'm taking my time, like I've got all day! I really did think I had all day. :)

My mom arrived around 9:30 to watch Eliana, and we left for the hospital, conveniently two blocks away (I really wanted to walk there, but Stu wouldn't let me. This was a wise choice, in hindsight!). From where we parked our car to getting upstairs to the labor and delivery wing, I had to stop and work through contractions about 5 or 6 times. After checking in (why did I do pre-admission paperwork months earlier if they're still going to have me stand there filling out paperwork with the same questions while having contractions?! Does it matter how tall it am?!), getting settled in the room, hooked up to all the monitors, IV-ed (UGGH!), it was about 10:30. The nurse asked me if I was planning on getting an epidural, which I was hoping to avoid, but wanted to see how things went. I really wanted to be able to labor standing up, which was much more comfortable for me than laying down. So we put off the epidural decision, and they finally checked me, and I was already 9 centimeters! I couldn't believe it! The nurses couldn't believe it either. It was kinda funny. My doctor was on call, so they hurriedly made sure she was on the way. Around 10:45 the doctor came in and after about 4 pushes, Luke Michael made his grand entrance into the world! He was born at 10:59. No time for an epidural, which I am very thankful for because it was so nice to be fully alert and able to experience, and remember, the whole thing. It was truly an amazing experience!

This picture was taken just after he was born, and I think you can read the awe and amazement in my face! I couldn't believe what had just happened! I had never considered that it could all be done and the baby here in just 3 hours! Praise God!

6 comments:

ashleigh said...

you better not have any more babies! i don't think you can beat that labor story!!! i am so glad you had it so 'easy'. makes up for the effort to get that way in the first place! : )

can't wait to see luke and you! take it easy - let stu spoil you for a few more days before he has to go back to work!

The Horton's Life said...

Can't wait to meet Luke! I'll call you one day this next week. Praying you get some good rest.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Childress Family said...

That's awesome, Jess! Thank the Lord! Everyone says it's quicker the second time. I'm hoping for the same...but maybe enough time to get the drugs. :-)

Elsie Hall said...

Yay! I can't believe how quickly he came--of course Aiden was here in 6 hours start-finish...I guess if I go into labor on my own (he was an induction)I'll remember your story and get my booty to the hospital before Mike is delivering here in the car!