Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Big Girl Bed

When we went to Hilton Head, Eliana decided she wanted to sleep in the big girl bed. There was an extra bed in a sun room off the master, so Eliana had her own room. All week she did really well with sleeping the bed, even for her naps. She didn't get out of bed, even in the morning. She still called for us to come get her. She understood that she wasn't allowed to get out of bed.

So when we got home from vacation, we figured we had made the transition to the big girl bed. She did okay with it for about a week. She realized that she had a new found freedom, as long as she didn't leave her room. On more than one occasion she would spend the first 40 minutes or so of nap time reading, and then fall asleep in the glider. Pretty cute.

But then we started having marathon bedtimes. She would get out of bed repeatedly, and she knew if she got out of bed and left her room, she was in trouble. She was getting in trouble quite a bit.

Then one night, she decided she didn't want to sleep in the big girl bed anymore, and wanted to sleep in the crib. I suppose we should have taken the crib down so it wouldn't be an option, but since it was still in her room along with the bed, I granted her request and put her in the crib.

It was the easiest bedtime we had had in at least a week. So Eliana's back in the crib. Are we bad parents? :) I feel like she just wasn't ready and feels more secure in the crib. And unfortunately, we're not going to need the crib anytime soon! But maybe we should have pushed through... Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Jess! What a great blog - I would have been commenting much sooner, I just didn't know you had it! :) I need to see Miss Ellie & her mama sometime soon! Keep posting... I promise I'll keep reading!

Elsie Hall said...

You aren't bad parents...Some things aren't worth the battle. Trust me, she won't be in that crib forever! I'm so glad I've found your blog!

The Esperats said...

I love it Jess! Eliana is so adorable! I love her long curls.
My take remains the same... God didn't put in the Bible times for when kids need to be in beds, potty-trained, eating solids, etc. I don't think there's one answer... Just listen to Him and ask Him to show you what's best for Ellie for the time. He's entrusted her to you and Stu, and He'll show you. Thinking this way has brought a lot of peace, joy, and freedom for us. Hope it helps!

Jess said...

Thanks, girls! I was so excited to see I had comments! ;o) I'm really not worried about the big bed...she's sleeping so peacefully!

Childress Family said...

Glad I finally found your blog! About the bed? I don't know. Anna's still in her crib and we're happy to let well enough alone!