Monday, April 21, 2008

A good morning...

This morning, while I'm in the kitchen enjoying a cup of coffee, I hear Eliana through the monitor waking up, and she calls for Mommy! In fact, it was, "Mommy! I want to hold you!" I shouted back that I'd be right up. Then I shouted, "I love you, Eliana!" And I hear her shout back, "I love you too, Mommy!" What a great way to start the morning.

It made me think of meeting God first thing in the morning. A couple of weeks ago at our small group, we were talking about prayer, and one of the guys challenged us to follow a prayer structure for fifteen minutes each morning. Setting the alarm even earlier wasn't something I was very excited to do, but it's been really nice. Rather than rushing right into a busy day, take a few quiet moments, maybe even before the sun's completely up, to say good morning to God.

Here's an idea of what the prayer structure is:

Be Still. Relax. Remind yourself: "I am here to meet God. No other appointment competes in importance." Read a scripture passage for the day.

Adoration. Think on the greatness of God. How incredible it is that God knows you and desires to have fellowship with you! Adore Him.

Thanksgiving. Name the things God has given you for which you are grateful. Be thankful for Christ's death on the cross, salvation and the promise of eternal life with Him.

Dedication. Review the significant vows you have taken...as a spouse, parent, employee. Reaffirm these vows, but also focus intently on this day. Offer your life to God for joyful service today!

Guidance. Envision your day with God. Ask God's guidance in each aspect of your day.

Intercession. Make a list of the names of people who are in need of your prayers. Contemplate each one and lift up their individual needs to God. Love them.

Petition. Lift up your own needs to God. Tell Him what you most deeply desire in your life. As you spend time in God's presence, your desires will change and mature; your true wants get crystallized by the Spirit. So persist in asking for what you really want...until you know what it is.

Act of Trust. Intentionally release your prayers to God...and trust God to answer them.

Wait. In the ensuing silence, wait to hear what God wishes to say to you. Silently contemplate the phrase: "Speak, Lord..your child listens." And wait.

No comments: