Monday, November 3, 2008

2-year-old Etiquette

I'll be posting more about our trip to Ohio and my bro-in-law's wedding (with pics!), but right now (since I'm at school and supposed to be working) I just wanted to tell you a quick story about our trip that I found amusing. Hopefully you will too...

The morning of the wedding we went down to the hotel lobby for breakfast (the free kind :). Eliana was enjoying her "vacation breakfast" of fruit loops, and ate them all. Of course she had a big bowl of milk left, and proceeded to pick it up and drink the milk. She got a quick rebuke from my mother-in-law. Grandma was appalled that Eliana would drink her milk from her bowl! What really made it funny to me was: 1. Stuart had just done the exact same thing, but his mom hadn't noticed, and 2. the look on Eliana's face. She had a mix of surprise, shame, confusion, and regret that I just can't quite communicate. Trust me, it was priceless. Like a good little girl, she set her bowl down. She asked me later why Grandma had gotten upset with her, and I guess I un-did the etiquette lesson, because I told her it was okay to drink her milk from her bowl. In the realm of "picking your battles", for me, this is definitely not one of them!

2 comments:

The Esperats said...

Don't let grandma see my post of Robertson slurping from his bowl on the kitchen floor!

Elsie Hall said...

That is priceless! I especially love that Stu had just finished doing the same thing...:-)